Tips & Tricks for Taking the IELTS Test
- April 2, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Business plans
If English is not your native language and you’d like to study a degree in English abroad, you’ll have to take an International English Language Test or IELTS test. The IELTS test format and rules are somewhat different from regular school exams so we’ve prepared some IELTS exam tips and advice to help you get totally prepared for the test and get your desired score. If you don’t want to lose marks by not being prepared, take a few minutes to read educations.com’s top tips for IELTS takers.
IELTS Tips for Before Test Day:
- Have a Study Plan
Make a plan before you start studying for IELTS test and have a tailored study plan based on your areas of strengths and weaknesses.
- Practice Until You Feel Confident
Practice boosts your self-confidence. For the speaking test, find a friend to practice speaking English with. While reading English magazines, practice skimming the texts for the reading test. Watch movies in English language every night and surround yourself with English language news and songs to improve your listening skills.
- Practice Under Time Pressure
Test yourself in a 2 hours and 45 minutes time-frame just like the exam day. This will help you get to know what it feels like to take the reading, writing and listening tests consecutively. The more you practice under time pressure, the better you can manage your time.
- Check out the Official IELTS Website
The official IELTS website is the best source of information for IELTS candidates. You can read about the rules and regulations of the test, the test format, and find useful IELTS exam tips and materials such as books, tests and videos on the website.
- Check the Location of the Exam
In order to be on time on the exam day, make sure that you know exactly where the IELTS test center is and find out how to access the location.
Tips for the IELTS Writing Test:
- Don’t use spoken English in your writing.
- Write Task 2 first, as it contributes more to your total score.
- Make sure your handwriting is legible, tidy and neat.
Tips for the IELTS Speaking Test:
- Listen to the questions carefully before you answer.
- Don’t answer the questions if you’re unsure about what to answer. You can ask the examiner to repeat or clarify the question for you.
- Be confident and relaxed and do your best.
Tips for the IELTS Reading Test:
- Don’t spend too much time on the questions you can’t find an answer for.
- Move to the next question and get back to that question if you have any time left at the end.
- Read all the questions and underline the keywords before reading each text.
Tips for the IELTS Listening Test:
- Skim the questions before listening to the recordings.
- Make sure that you can write the dates in the correct format.
- If you have any problem hearing the recordings, raise your hand and ask for help.
- Practice on both British and American pronunciations, as some numbers and words are pronounced differently.